We are excited to announce that we have begun hosting CPR classes, presented by the American Heart Association! This class teaches the life-saving skills of CPR for adults, children and infants. The class is led by a certified CPR instructor and is designed to last about an hour and a half. The cost for Van Til Chiropractic patients is $10 and only $30 for non-patients–the class is open to everyone!
Classes are held each month at Van Til Chiropractic on either a Tuesday evening or Saturday morning. Please call our office at 815-929-9296 to register for our next class!
We invite you to come check out our new BioMeasure Scale! This scale accurately measures height and weight, instantly calculates Body Mass Index (BMI) and measures Body Fat Percentage! After using the scale, you will receive a printed ticket with all of your measurements.
The cost of the BioMeasure scan is just $20. You do not need to be a current patient in our office in order to be scanned. The scale calculates all of your important health information and includes a free follow-up scan!
>Automatic self-calibrating system
>Scale weighs from 5.5 to 662 pounds in 0.2 pound increments
>Ultrasonic device measures height from 0″ to 6’9″ in 0.2″ increments
>Body mass index (BMI) is automatically calculated and displayed
>Body fat indicator uses bio-electric impedance analysis (BIA) method to obtain body fat percentage and fat mass in pounds
How it Works:
- The user begins by stepping onto the scale platform and following the audio instructions and visual prompts displayed on the system’s LCD screen. The automatic, self-calibrating system provides an accurate weight measurement while an ultrasonic device built into the upper part of the machine accurately measures height. Programming then implements these measurements to calculate and display the individual’s body mass index (BMI).
- Next, the machine offers the option of a body fat screening, only those without pace-makers or medical implants are advised to use this feature. On-screen and audio prompts then direct the user to firmly grasp the hand held electrodes located on the sides of the machine. Implementing the bio-electrical impedance analysis (BIA) method, the system calculates the impedance between handles and provides data showing the percentage of body fat in relation to the overall body weight.
- In a matter of seconds, when all measurements are taken and calculations made, the System prompts user to input age and gender. The body fat mass and body fat percentage is calculated using a formula that includes these five factors: electric resistance, height, weight, age, and gender. The user is then provided a customizable printed ticket detailing the time and date of reading, height, weight, body mass index (BMI), body fat percentage and fat mass in pounds. It will then recommend healthy weight, body mass index and body fat percentage levels.
Like many people, you may wonder how much water you should be drinking on a daily basis. The calculation for the amount of water you should drink each day is based on your body weight. For every two (2) pounds you weigh, you should be drinking one (1) ounce of water per day. For example, someone weighing 200 lbs should drink 100 oz of water each day and someone who weights 130 lbs should be drinking 65 oz of water every day. This calculation is also a great measuring tool for kids! As a rule, you should increase the amount of water you drink if:
- the weather is hot
- you are exercising
- you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- you have a fever, vomiting or diarrhea
- you are trying to lose weight
Six EASY tips for staying hydrated
- Keep a bottle of water near you throughout the day to remind you to drink often.
- Drink a glass of water when you wake up, go to bed, and at each meal.
- Eat fruits and vegetables (which contain lots of water).
- Order water at restaurants instead of a soft drink.
- Flavor your water with a slice of lemon, lime, or even cucumber.
- Drink before, during, and after a workout.
Join us for an afternoon of free family fun on Thursday, July 12 from 11am-3pm!
Schedule of Events
11:00–Let the FUN begin!
11:30–Kid’s Jump Rope Contest
12:00–Karate Demonstration by Tri-Star Martial Arts
12:30–Kid’s Hula Hoop Contest
1:00–Group Zumba Session led by Zumba Instructor, Ashlei Maltman
1:30–Kid’s Frisbee Contest
2:00–Kankakee County Soldier’s Demonstration
2:30–Kid’s Basketball Contest
Don’t miss out on this great day of family fun! We will have food and children’s games throughout the day as well as a bounce house, face painting, fun prizes and balloon animals!
The Village of Bradley Police Department will have an officer here to perform car seat safety checks! If your children are using car seats, be sure to have them examined by a certified car seat safety police officer! The officer will be available from 1pm to 3pm, no appointment needed!
We will also have the Illinois Children’s Identification Program here! This is the premier child identification program currently offered in the state of Illinois! This program is free to all, as a part of Family Fun Day and will be available for the entire event (11am to 3pm), no appointment needed! Keep checking back here, as we will have more information posted as the event gets closer!!!
I have been asked many times about my thoughts on “Shape-up” or “EZ Tone” style shoes. I like to compare them to cars.
Your body needs fuel like a car does. We have food; a car has gasoline; a truck diesel fuel, etc. A car is designed to be as fuel-efficient as possible to lower our expenses. Our feet were created to be efficient as well in order to lessen the burden on our bodies.
These muscle toning shoes are designed to cause the body to do extra work, which leads to 3 main things:
Don’t want to exercise but want to feel great? Try stretching! Doing stretches throughout the day can make your body feel limber and revitalized with minimal effort. You may be thinking that stretching only has a place before or after a workout, but you’re wrong! Stretching can be its own healthy exercise! Here’s why:
- …increases your body’s flexibility;
- …boosts energy and releases tension;
- …reduces muscle soreness and stiffness;
- …reduces the risk of injury;
- …increases & encourages blood flow/nutrient supply to muscles & cartilage;
- …improves muscle balance around joints, thus improving posture;
- …warms your body up in preparation for an active day;
- …relaxes your body at the end of that active day, enhancing muscle recovery.
Sounds pretty great right? It gets better: stretching is EASY and anyone can do it! It can be effectively done in just minutes. Stretching positions should include each of the major muscle groups and should be held for about 10 seconds to loosen up muscles. Focus on your calves, thighs, hips, lower back, neck and shoulders. Also stretch muscles and joints that you routinely use at work or play. And make sure that you stretch both sides. For example, if you stretch your left shoulder, be sure to stretch your right shoulder as well. You should expect to feel tension while you’re stretching, but not pain. If it hurts, you’ve pushed too far. Back off to the point where you don’t feel any pain, then hold the stretch. Repeat each stretch three times.